Monday, September 3, 2007

September 3 - Status Report

We're at Monday morning dialysis (no Labor Day here). He's doing great. In his words, "I don't just like school, I love it." He's right in the middle of the class for reading and near the top for math. He has no interest in organized sports, but he and I go bike riding (he's a two wheelin' guy) a few times a week. In other words, he's about right where he was (or was going to be) both in school and athletically.

His primary hobby right now is New Super Mario Brothers for Nintendo DS. I'm his hero because I can finish the few levels that he has problems with (although there are other levels that he can finish but I can't).

I am reminded of how much he's improved. When we left the hospital, he couldn't walk, and was wearing his "hospital pants". Now he's an emergent reader, a Nintendo wiz, and a bike rider.

No big changes in kidney function. They will do another kidney function test mid-October, and we'll find out how he's doing. Meanwhile, his blood chemistry levels are stable, his appetite is good, and blood pressure is in check. The transplant paperwork process is ongoing, but we don't expect to go through with it until late summer 2008.

No comments: