Monday, May 28, 2007

5/28 - Happy Memorial Day


We're back to a hospital-based blog this morning, because I got to accompany him and Mommy to dialysis today. There seems to be a holiday kind of vibe at the hospital, because the main facilities seem pretty empty. On the other hand, the pediatric dialysis wing seems the same, because none of the regulars are missing. I don't thing you can "take a day off" from a dialysis schedule.

We get the parent's price at breakfast in the cafeteria, even though we don't have wristbands. It's a little like Cheers, except we wish everybody hadn't had time to learn our names.

We had some inconvenience yesterday, because his catheter dressing came off and Jen had to take him to the emergency room to get it changed. She probably could have done it herself, but we didn't have a sterile kit handy. Thankfully, a friend helped expedite that process, so the day wasn't lost. After dialysis is done today, we're going to stop by the pharmacy and try to get some supplies for our new do-it-yourself home trauma center. Since Miami is notorious for garage-based back-alley dental offices, I don't think an amateur trauma center is a big stretch.

Jake's in pretty good spirits. He got to spend some time with friends this weekend, and is holding his own. When we're done with dialysis I had promised I'd take him to the Swap Shop to look for some knock-off Yu-Gi-Oh cards. (The poor translations amuse him.)

I brought my track bike to the hospital with a thought that I could sneak off to the velodrome for an hour (the Florida State championship is next month and I'm woefully out of shape), but it rained just enough this morning to make it too dangerous. I'll give it a shot anyway. If I end up with a Daddy recuperation blog, it's my own fault.

No comments: