Wednesday, May 20, 2009

5/20 Evening report


I have no idea how Jake's kidney is working, but he's feeling good. Not as much tummy pain tonight. The clinical writeup would be "still hurty poo, but not as much tummy pain in bed". He's been peeing an enormous amount post-biopsy. I don't know if that's good, but it's impressive. He's still on the steroids as a prophylactic/preemptive rejection treatment, but there don't seem to be the usual steroid side effects (mood swings, acne, 60+ home runs). Maybe the steroids are spurring the kidney? We'll see.

They hope to get the biopsy results back tomorrow afternoon. He's been busy working on the new Yu Gi Oh Nintendo DS game, but there's no denying that he feels that he's stuck here and that he's desperate to go back "home" to the apartment. We have no idea about the timetable for discharge.

He's certainly a sophisticated medical consumer. He just told me "This IV sucks. They put it too low on my arm." I don't know when "sucks" joined his vocabulary as an adjective, but he's remarkably perceptive about the medical goings-on.


He is pleased with the Sony "Children's Headphones" that I bought. They are built for smaller heads, and the cable connects through only one earpiece, so it's not as restraining. Worth the $15.00, and highly recommended for hospitalized kids. I know that he looks forward to the wireless headphones in the car (for the ride home).

It's been cold (for Florida) and rainy all week. I may need to buy a long sleeve shirt. I've been rotating t-shirts and shorts every day.

Bloggy McBloggersson signing off. . .

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

"...but there don't seem to be the usual steroid side effects (mood swings, acne, 60+ home runs)..."

LOL!!!

Kavetchnik said...

ya know, i've had an unsightly cold sore under my nose going on two weeks, strangers roaming my yard for mangoes and making the dogs bark non-stop, and have to give a poetry reading tonight to another empty room. i don't know why you think YOU have so many problems.

love ya. hang in there.

xxoo,
jen