Thursday, May 21, 2009

5/22 - A non-ambiguous good report


The biopsy came back. No rejection. The kidney damage is apparently from the initial high Prograf levels and from the initial dehydration, and is fully reversible. That means that the recent improvement is actual improvement. They are now taking him off the steroids

If he can keep himself hydrated, we can probably go home tomorrow. He needs to drink at least 1500ml per day, which is about 50 ounces. I'm sure develop some kind of bribe/tracking system to incentivize him. If it was solely my decision, we would work on a threat/more threat incentive system. As an ultra-liberal, I'm not sure which approach suits my political beliefs. As a care-giving parent, I veer toward old-time absolute monarchy.
I went home and exercised for the first time in three weeks. It wasn't transcendent, but I finally have that "good sore" feeling that I crave. It's a different and better sore than the "sleeping on a chair for three weeks" sore.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

CONGRATULATIONS! That's great news!! We look forward to more good news as Jacob heals. How is mom doing?

Sam

David H. Wollins said...

In my humble opinion, which, I have found, after 20 years of marriage, is an understatement, the varying degrees of threat available are unacceptable to the only onw who counts. What I also know is that hydration, definitely, keeps you from dehydration. Good luck getting home. Stay wet.

David H. Wollins

Anonymous said...

We all can't wait to see you guys for a BBQ at Sally's. Good luck!! We are all think of you.
Niki Lulu and Azalea

Kavetchnik said...

finally! phew!

i have found that holding a head underwater forces a mouth to open and intake it. i mean, i've seen it done in the movies and it looks like it works.

xo,
jen

50-b4-50 said...

Best news all week!

Jake's a fighter and we love you all. Larry - go buy a MAC - you've earned it.

Love, Dede (PC)

Anonymous said...

SO THRILLED by this update! Please send our love to all!

~Eliza, Steve and Aviva